Sunday, April 19, 2009

Cats!



Went to catch The Cats last night and was totally blown over by the performance. Wanted to give a standing ovation but Singaporeans are rather selfish in giving any praises.

Being a Drama Teacher, though I am no expert at theatre, I have come to have some knowledge at least. To see the actors on stage prancing around cat-like and constantly onstage and in character, I must definitely take my hat off at their superb performance. EDC has just put up our SYF performance and the actors had to be creature-like and be constantly onstage. This is definitely not easy - to break our of all human characteristics and be an animal and to be in character throughout that 20 mins takes up much stamina and effort. Hence I am already very proud of the boys, regardless the results. And because of that SYF experience, I now know how to appreciate the actors for Cats. Bravo!

On a side note, I really am disgusted by some Singaporeans. For goodness sake, please learn to respect the perfomers for their professionalism and hours and months of hard work and sacrifice put in. By whipping out your camera not only causes distraction to the other members of the audience (look, your very bright LCD screen is really vying for attention), it is also a total disrespect for intellectual property.

On the whole, I enjoyed myself at the Esplanade last night amidst the very period of marking :)