I could almost feel the summer's heat crawling on my skin - sticky, warm and unforgiving. The howling wind is suddenly nothing but a facet of the past. I frowned, as i wiped away the thin sheen of perspiration from my forehead. The summer is a euphemism for the need of fans.
Summers are overrated. They are the backdrop of Sweet Valley infatuations, a tropical getaway or a passionate kiss by the beach. They are the reasons for ice cream on your way home from school. They are the motivations for long baths and cooling showers. They are the inspirations behind heartbreak hotel.
Summers are evil. They give you unrealistic expectations about life. They make you think you could fall in love the next trip to the seaside. They make you work those extra kilos off just so you could fit into yet another bright yellow sundress. They make you make ice-cold lemonade, only to finish it within the next second. They making working a chore - they make you crave for air conditioning (and forego whatever goals you set to become a more environmentally friendly person). They make afternoon naps a sweaty venture. They make falling asleep an impossibility at night.
But i love summers - for its unabashed insistence on all things colourful, romantic and beautiful. I love the sea breeze, when you're only a mouthful of mashed potatoes away. I love the way time seems to stop when it's summer.
I'm sure you agree. I'm sure there is a summer that changed your life too, the way it changed mine.
So Let yourself shine - it's summer! There's no time in your life you shine brighter than under the blazing sunlight! Dance! Even if you have two left feet like me! Because it's summer - and summer is another word for life.