Sunday, February 15, 2009

Do we rule tech or does tech rule us?

Read this from newsweek.

There has been a big hoo ha about the US President getting to keep his Blackberry. Apart from the security issue since he will also be the first President to use the email, there has been countless talks about whether a Blackberry is doing more harm to his thinking process.

Digital natives are finding it difficult to keep focussed as I myself can be a testament to that. There is this compulsive need to keep attending to all email alerts, reply to sms or answer a call since I can be contacted at all times, checking if anyone has called or smsed me, answer any pop-up windows on the MSN, do something everytime when a light came on or a sound beeped on the computer. I also find that I cannot just sit still and do a piece of work. I must be doing a few things at the same time - listening to music, suring YouTube, working on my documents, chatting on MSN - all at the same time. But is this really efficient use of time? Technology is supposed to help us but is it really?

That's why sometimes, I just switch off my phone and be away from the computer during weekends or the holidays. It is enough that I keep stressing myself during workdays hence I force myself to live a primitive life when I can. Somtimes I really detest the fact that I can be contacted at all times and people expect me to reply them immediately or I feel that I am expected to reply immediately. Where has the good old days of waiting for a letter gone to? People just want everything done fast and now, which sometimes is more detrimental than helpful.

Anyway, just another trival information. Obama uses the Mac. Check this out.



Yeah!! All hail the Mac. I guess that says something about the way he thinks as well. A Mac user is very different from a PC user. Hmm I can write a thesis on this.